There are a range of things that can be done to increase the romantic mood of an occasion such as Valentine’s Day. If seducing a special Valentine, then tempt all of the senses with the right flowers, a Valentine’s gift and the perfect food.
Saint Valentine’s Day is celebrated on 14th February in most countries around the world. On Valentine’s Day, lovers traditionally express their love for each other. It is also an occasion for a person to ask someone to be his or her Valentine. It’s a good day to ask a special person on a date or express one’s feelings by sending a Valentine card, flowers or confectionery.
Here are some ideas to help in creating the perfect Valentine’s Day.
A romantic gift can be given to that special person on Valentine’s Day. Traditional gift ideas include:
- Sending flowers (check the list below).
- Good quality heart shaped chocolates show feeling without words.
- Jewellery is always welcome. A necklace with a heart shaped charm or perhaps a key. It is believed that a key will unlock the love within the heart.
- A CD of romantic music.
- Lingerie to create the perfect mood.
- Perfume or cologne.
- Personalised gifts such as inscribed wine glasses or a photo frame that adds a touch of class.
Make the gift special with a hand written note of love and wrap it in beautiful paper.
Flowers of Love
Send or give flowers to a Valentine on February 14. The colour red is the traditional flower colour as it represents strong romantic feelings and is a symbol of love. Here are a few ideas:
- Roses are always a favourite. A red rose was the favourite flower of Venus, the Roman Goddess of Love. Send a single rose or go all out with a dozen long stemmed red roses.
- Carnations represent fascination, distinction and love.
- Sunflowers are a sign of adoration, loyalty and longevity.
- Tulips represent the perfect love.
- Irises are a symbol of faith hope and admiration.
- Orchids show love, beauty and luxury.
A Romantic Dinner
Going to a favourite restaurant is a popular event on Valentine’s Day. If going out or cooking at home there a few foods that should be on the menu for the loved one. Include oysters, caviar, saffron, truffles, strawberries, and dark chocolate for a successful romantic dinner. Some champagne will also add to a romantic mood, but remember not too much or perhaps make it a non-alcoholic bubbly.
The Perfect Movie for Valentine’s Day
Perhaps take in a movie on Valentine’s Day. Popular choices include Roman Holiday (1953), Ghost (1990), Sleepless in Seattle (1993) and Titanic (1993).
Creating a Romantic Mood for Valentine’s Day
Include some romantic music for a special Valentine on Valentine’s Day. Jazz or classical music played quietly in the background creates a romantic atmosphere. Essential oils can add to the romance of the occasion. Use scented candles, incense, an oil burner or perhaps a massage for a valentine. The best scents are jasmine, neroli, rose, ylang ylang or sandalwood. Romance blends are commercially available or create one at home from the suggested scents.
There are lots of ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day, a romantic dinner at a favourite restaurant, a movie together, a surprise weekend getaway or an adventurous activity. Keep it romantic and include a special token of love for a Valentine to treasure. So add some subtle romance for the next special occasion, Valentine’s Day or a significant wedding anniversary.